Gaining

Gaining while on insulin

I keep reading everywhere that insulin makes one gain weight. However, I am not. I do have some sugar spikes. Perhaps I should keep adjusting my doses? Whenever I check online they just mostly focus on how to lose weight while on insulin and navigating this information is getting progressively more cryptic. Does anyone in here have related resources they could point me towards?
3 weeks

Gaining while on insulin

Crazyfool:
I keep reading everywhere that insulin makes one gain weight. However, I am not. I do have some sugar spikes. Perhaps I should keep adjusting my doses? Whenever I check online they just mostly focus on how to lose weight while on insulin and navigating this information is getting progressively more cryptic. Does anyone in here have related resources they could point me towards?

If you value your ability to continue breathing, do not do this. Ever. You will end up getting sick and possibly losing weight through limb loss, dehydration due to frequent urination, or muscular atrophy.

If you want to gain while on insulin, you first need to make sure you are stable first. Once that's squared away, there are healthy ways you can gain, like eating more high-fat fish, nuts, or avocados. These are less likely to cause blood sugar instability than say donuts and ice cream.
2 weeks

Gaining while on insulin

Crazyfool:

Munchies:
If you value your ability to continue breathing, do not do this. Ever. You will end up getting sick and possibly losing weight through limb loss, dehydration due to frequent urination, or muscular atrophy.

If you want to gain while on insulin, you first need to make sure you are stable first. Once that's squared away, there are healthy ways you can gain, like eating more high-fat fish, nuts, or avocados. These are less likely to cause blood sugar instability than say donuts and ice cream.

Also they didn't specify if their insulin dependent (type 1) or insulin resistant (type 2)
That makes a big difference
2 weeks

Gaining while on insulin

Crazyfool:

Munchies:

I Am Uo:
Also they didn't specify if their insulin dependent (type 1) or insulin resistant (type 2)
That makes a big difference

Not as much as you might think for the purpose of this situation. Have you ever encountered a diabetic - type 1 or 2 - that started rationing their insulin? It gets bad. It gets even worse if they aren't mindful of their intake.

If they are on insulin, their blood sugar levels run high. Hypoglycemia can cause a host of short and long-term complications. Some of these complications can lead to hospitalization and irreversible damage to the body. Doing that just to gain weight is impressively idiotic - especially when there are safer ways to achieve this.
2 weeks

Gaining while on insulin

Type 2 diabetic and I don’t really eat sweets anymore because the sugar spikes are never worth it. “I get some sugar spikes” was pretty literal because SOMETIMES I hit the carbs a little too hard and I try to avoid that as well. I’ve been a diabetic for 5 years and have no real complications from it.
2 weeks

Gaining while on insulin

Crazyfool:
Type 2 diabetic and I don’t really eat sweets anymore because the sugar spikes are never worth it. “I get some sugar spikes” was pretty literal because SOMETIMES I hit the carbs a little too hard and I try to avoid that as well. I’ve been a diabetic for 5 years and have no real complications from it.

All the more reason not to do the thing. When you aren't taking your insulin like you should, it's easy to go from no complications to emergency room.
2 weeks

Gaining while on insulin

Having a bad day or something? These answers aren’t aligning with my questioning, and instead of asking me questions for further clarification it seems like you’re being a fair bit condescending. As a neurodivergent I’m not always capable of reading the room but you’re giving me some icky vibes. You even abruptly cut off other people who were making attempts to communicate and be helpful.
2 weeks

Gaining while on insulin

Crazyfool:
Having a bad day or something? These answers aren’t aligning with my questioning, and instead of asking me questions for further clarification it seems like you’re being a fair bit condescending. As a neurodivergent I’m not always capable of reading the room but you’re giving me some icky vibes. You even abruptly cut off other people who were making attempts to communicate and be helpful.

It's more like I am very well aware of the consequences of messing around with your insulin and have no desire for you or anyone who is taking notes to end up in the hospital.
2 weeks

Gaining while on insulin

Crazyfool:

You're asking if you should adjust insulin levels to gain weight.

Munchies is very knowledgeable, and correct in expressing the dangers of doing this.

If you're asking how to gain as a Diabetic, her response to make sure you're leveled off and healthy first, is also correct.

These may not be the answers you were looking for, maybe you wanted ways to "cheat the system"? It appears that way to me, and perhaps that's why the answers seem blunt and opposing?

I've been following Munchies for a long time, and she truly doesn't want anyone to be in danger.
2 weeks

Gaining while on insulin

Crazyfool:

MickRidem:
You're asking if you should adjust insulin levels to gain weight.

Munchies is very knowledgeable, and correct in expressing the dangers of doing this.

If you're asking how to gain as a Diabetic, her response to make sure you're leveled off and healthy first, is also correct.

These may not be the answers you were looking for, maybe you wanted ways to "cheat the system"? It appears that way to me, and perhaps that's why the answers seem blunt and opposing?

I've been following Munchies for a long time, and she truly doesn't want anyone to be in danger.

Thanks Mick.

I also want to point out that in my first response, I provided suggestions on how to gain safely as a diabetic. So it's not like I was jumping on him just to jump on him.

Diabetes also runs in my family. I'm diabetic. So is my mom and grandma. I've got countless other relatives with diabetes, too. I've seen up close and personal what happens when you don't do what you gotta do.

Hell, my great-grandpa died in his sleep because his blood sugar got too low, and he ended up in a diabetic coma.

On top of all that, other people scroll through the forums looking for weight gain advice. So, I'm not just concerned about OP. Several other people in OP's situation will scroll through the forums, find this thread, and follow whatever advice is suggested.

Some of these people will end up in the hospital. Some of these people will die. I don't want to live in a world where that happened, and I didn't do anything because "it's not my problem to care."
2 weeks