Extreme obesity

Being supersized changes your perspectives

As a supersized person who has been very fat my whole life-- except for the one year I lost weight and maintained 190 for a while-- it occurs to me I just think about various aspects of life differently.

For example, I power-gained most of the year last year. I had several months in which I put on 40+ pounds. I decided after the holidays, I'd transition to maintenance, and I often say, even in the forums "I'm maintaining", when in reality, I'm still putting on weight. I was 509 on New Year's Eve. I'm 532 this morning. It occurs to me that to 95 percent of people would call 23 pounds by March a big gain, especially if say, they started at 130 and now weigh 153. To me, it's nominal, especially considering I put on well over 200 pounds last year. Similarly, I know that a person who is 5'3" and 190 is still technically obese, but when I reflect on being that size a few years ago, I talk about "when I was skinny".

Anyone else notice how your point of view changes when you're very obese (or live with an obese person)?
1 month

Perspective is kinda nutty I remember thinking 200 is big but now I’m double that. It’s also kinda wild how much weight I take for granted like 300 lbs is very fat by most people’s standard

Also yeah I kinda get that it’s kinda like the whole “a year when your young is a lot but a year when your older is nothing” thing cept with weight like what’s 20 pounds when your 500 lbs
1 month

Morbidly A Beast:
Perspective is kinda nutty I remember thinking 200 is big but now I’m double that. It’s also kinda wild how much weight I take for granted like 300 lbs is very fat by most people’s standard

Also yeah I kinda get that it’s kinda like the whole “a year when your young is a lot but a year when your older is nothing” thing cept with weight like what’s 20 pounds when your 500 lbs

Exactly. 20 pounds is less than 1/26 of my body weight; it would be 1/6 of the weight of a 120 pound woman.

It also is amazing to me that not only are there a lot of women who weigh 115 to 130 lb; They're also, not necessarily underweight. It just sounds so very small to me, probably because I haven't weighed 115 since 2nd grade.

Even my usual, non-stuffing breakfast is an example. Every Sunday, we go to the same brunch place, fairly early, before the crowd. I get the same thing 99% of the time, which is an order of four pancakes, served with turkey, sausage, and breakfast potatoes. Then I also get four extra pancakes on the side, and a three egg, spinach and cheese omelette, which comes with more breakfast potatoes. I usually finish all of it, and if I was actually stuffing, I could eat much much more. My fiance varies his order, but it's usually an egg white, omelette and fruit. I don't usually look around and compare my meal to other people's orders. I'm always able to finish it all though, and I'm usually not really full, much less stuffed. I literally forget that for the majority of people, my breakfast would be considered massive.

It's the same with pizza. Now that I've cut back, I eat a large alone. When I was gaining, I would often finish three. It blows my mind that the "polite" custom, when eating "communal" pizza, is two slices, and that most people wouldn't consider eating a large in one sitting.

Obviously, that's why I'm a fatty.
1 month

Morbidly A Beast:

BigBallBellyGirl:
Exactly. 20 pounds is less than 1/26 of my body weight; it would be 1/6 of the weight of a 120 pound woman.

It also is amazing to me that not only are there a lot of women who weigh 115 to 130 lb; They're also, not necessarily underweight. It just sounds so very small to me, probably because I haven't weighed 115 since 2nd grade.

Even my usual, non-stuffing breakfast is an example. Every Sunday, we go to the same brunch place, fairly early, before the crowd. I get the same thing 99% of the time, which is an order of four pancakes, served with turkey, sausage, and breakfast potatoes. Then I also get four extra pancakes on the side, and a three egg, spinach and cheese omelette, which comes with more breakfast potatoes. I usually finish all of it, and if I was actually stuffing, I could eat much much more. My fiance varies his order, but it's usually an egg white, omelette and fruit. I don't usually look around and compare my meal to other people's orders. I'm always able to finish it all though, and I'm usually not really full, much less stuffed. I literally forget that for the majority of people, my breakfast would be considered massive.

It's the same with pizza. Now that I've cut back, I eat a large alone. When I was gaining, I would often finish three. It blows my mind that the "polite" custom, when eating "communal" pizza, is two slices, and that most people wouldn't consider eating a large in one sitting.

Obviously, that's why I'm a fatty.

It’s funny you say that a few weekends ago we were having game night at my friends house and someone mentioned pizza we got two large pizzas and I couldn’t help myself to think “what is everyone else gonna eat” cause I can put down both no problem, portions definitely shift the bigger you get and it’s not even a second thought lol.
1 month