General

Why are people so angry at fat acceptance movements on the internet?

people are going to be shocked at the meet up when it turns out I’m over 400 lbs nothing confirmed yet but it’s been talked about amongst my gaming friends lol
1 week

BigOke02:
This might be off topic but related, I've wondered myself why the hostility towards fat people on the internet recently...

It's everywhere, especially Instagram. People not necessarily even body positive, feedee or whatever but just average fat people exercising, trying on clothes, talk about stuff, etc but go through the comments... The same worn out "jokes", the same "but your health" trolling, etc.

It makes me wonder why these people hate fat people so... Live and let live, right? I kinda wish scientific studies could be done to figure out why the fuck people are so hostile to fat people.

Munchies:
I've said this elsewhere, but fatphobia is considered the last condoned kind of bigotry. Since society views being fat as a moral failig and a choice, they feel validated to be as cruel as possible.

The internet is a cruel place. If you are marginalized in any way, people will leave hate comments and troll you. But there is a limit to this because if you go after the wrong one or it goes viral enough, the internet will go after you and come for all you hold dear.

With a few exceptions, the internet doesn't have the same level of rage for fatphobia as they do for other other forms of bigotry. So the bullies feel safer to be gross.

Oh yeah it’s especially true when (some) fitness trainers push their agenda. And they get tremendous amount of views and likes and are simply praise as a damn hero. 🙄 I get so much anger and anxiety from it!

It’s honestly upsetting to see the fact that some people would go far to bring the body shaming back to it’s prime.

Though I am glad to see this thread being talked about again. I know I’ve said my bit about it in an earlier comment, but still I feel like a community like this should be talking about this sort of thing more. Especially with how the world views have changed now.
1 week

For me, I think it's a jealousy issue.

Can you imagine someone has worked very hard to stay thin (constantly counting calories, planning meals to hit nutritional goals, hitting the gym, etc.) and then they find people who are both happy with themselves and other people find them attractive?

They get mad that they put in all this effort to feel that way when fat people didn't have to do any of that. The choice mentally is between "I've taken all this time and effort to be 'attractive' and it turns out I didn't have to." or "FAT people are terrible".

Which do you think is easier to accept for yourself?
6 days

Rrrawrgh:

Can you imagine someone has worked very hard to stay thin (constantly counting calories, planning meals to hit nutritional goals, hitting the gym, etc.) and then they find people who are both happy with themselves and other people find them attractive?

They get mad that they put in all this effort to feel that way when fat people didn't have to do any of that. The choice mentally is between "I've taken all this time and effort to be 'attractive' and it turns out I didn't have to." or "FAT people are terrible".

Maybe for some it’s like that but I wouldn’t past people to just want a outlet for being rude for the sake of being rude
6 days

Usually the nasty comments come from progressive people that get upset that you don't live your life the way they think you should.
At least for me its been that way.
The guys I hunt and do pew pew sports with never say anything mean or hateful about my weight.
Lots of truth about people being rude just to be rude.
I don't hold back when it comes to rude people,I can dish it right back and make them wish they hadn't opened their smart mouth.
6 days

Ditzy:
Usually the nasty comments come from progressive people that get upset that you don't live your life the way they think you should.
The guys I hunt and do pew pew sports with never say anything mean or hateful about my weight.
I don't hold back when it comes to rude people,I can dish it right back and make them wish they hadn't opened their smart mouth.

I saw it a lot during Covid and when people were protesting the lockdowns people got away with making fun of their weights and stray mean nasty comments about their appearance. Or even when the mask stuff got brought up. Obviously that was a hot button issue and I’m not trying to debate that or anything like that it just was rude comments like that from people you wouldn’t expect.
6 days

Rrrawrgh:

Morbidly A Beast:
Maybe for some it’s like that but I wouldn’t past people to just want a outlet for being rude for the sake of being rude

You are both right. Some people enjoy being an ass. So they will go out of their way to be an ass.

Others have their own insecurities and issues so they project them onto other people.
5 days

Ditzy:

This is your reminder that your politics do not necessarily make you a good person.
5 days

So true
5 days
345   loading