Story authors

Self publishing v earning stories

Hey all. I’ve been working on several stories and I’d like to try to hustle them a bit. I’m wondering what folks tend to make as earning authors versus self publishing on Amazon or Patreon etc. any thoughts?
9 months

I’m in sort of the same boat as you, and a little intimidated by self publishing, but I don’t think it’s actually that intimidating. FF is nice in that there is all sorts of flexibility here and it has a very focused audience. But there’s just way more people who buy books on Amazon or Smashwords. You don’t necessarily need to do one or the other, though, unless (someone correct me if I’m wrong) you’re signed up through Kindle Unlimited, in which case they have an exclusivity contract that limits where your work is made available.
9 months

Fatthorishot:
Hey all. I’ve been working on several stories and I’d like to try to hustle them a bit. I’m wondering what folks tend to make as earning authors versus self publishing on Amazon or Patreon etc. any thoughts?

I do both. I haven’t published anything on KDP in a while but I still get a couple reads a day. The money from Kindle Unlimited takes a long time to add up. I’m planning on publishing some of my feedist works and going wide (lol) on SW, Amazon and paywalling it here. There are advantages to being the walled garden of Amazon, but a lot of drawbacks too. They can inactivate or ban your account and finding out why is very difficult.

The big advantage is that if you publish under KU, as a new/unknown author the risk for the reader of trying your stuff is minimal. They pay a monthly subscription and it’s easy to check out your stuff even if you’re an unknown quantity.

The subscriptions here on FF are bigger payouts individually, but fewer over the course of the month, in my very recent and limited experience.
9 months

I am intrigued. Is there currently any feedist literature on Amazon?
9 months

Mrman1980uk:

There’s quite a bit. Some of it cross-pollinates with sites like this one.

Also, I started an earnings account a few days ago and I’m pretty impressed so far. I didn’t have super high expectations but it’s been good.
9 months

Mrman1980uk:

Letters And Numbers:

Also, I started an earnings account a few days ago and I’m pretty impressed so far. I didn’t have super high expectations but it’s been good.

Interesting. This stuff is more mainstream than I had imagined. Do you have links to any of this?
9 months

Mrman1980uk:

Letters And Numbers:

Mrman1980uk:
Interesting. This stuff is more mainstream than I had imagined. Do you have links to any of this?

So just as an example, Saxitlurg posts stories here and cross posts on amazon: amazon.com/dp/B0C7WK4SRY

If you scroll down you’ll find similar authors.
9 months

Mrman1980uk:

Letters And Numbers:

Mrman1980uk:

Letters And Numbers:
So just as an example, Saxitlurg posts stories here and cross posts on amazon: amazon.com/dp/B0C7WK4SRY

Very interesting. Those have all been published in the last few months. Is this a recent phenomenon?
9 months

Mrman1980uk:

Letters And Numbers:

Mrman1980uk:

Letters And Numbers:

Mrman1980uk:
Very interesting. Those have all been published in the last few months. Is this a recent phenomenon?

I doubt it. WG erotica has been around for a long time. Amazons algorithm is showing you what it thinks you want to see and weighing more recent additions.
9 months

Mrman1980uk:

Letters And Numbers:

Mrman1980uk:

Letters And Numbers:

Mrman1980uk:

Letters And Numbers:
I doubt it. WG erotica has been around for a long time. Amazons algorithm is showing you what it thinks you want to see and weighing more recent additions.

You are right - searching a little found some dating back to 2019 or so. Most interesting.
9 months
12   loading