Story authors

Story collab idea

Hey all! It's that random weirdo again. Throwing out ideas & hoping they come to light.

Anyway, I have had this idea for a while now & I wanted to see who might be interested in it, if anyone at all.

When most people write stories about characters suddenly becoming obese, whether it be by magic or something else, it's usually just about a few people or a single person is affected. But I thought "What if the entire world had a sudden weight gain? How would the rest of the world deal with it?" To that end I thought "What if we had a sort of anthology, a bunch of stories written by different authors, but all taking place in the same world where everyone has experienced a sudden weight gain?" The thought of several writers coming together to create a shared universe is very appealing to me & perhaps somebody will see this & say "Yeah! We should do this!"

Or maybe everyone will look at it & say "Wtf is this a-hole going on about?" or something like that, but either way I wanted to share this idea & see what, if anything, happens. Also, I apologize if this is all worded weird, I have trouble turning my thoughts into words...

Anyway, thanks for coming to my TED talk & God bless you all!
1 year

Story collab idea

This could be fun. If nothing else, speaking as someone who doesn't write as much as he would like, it could have the same benefits as a writing circle.

I feel like this kind of thing lives and dies by the hook. Making the cause of weight gain being open-ended enough for people to put their own spin on it while also being consistent enough to be recognizable as a theme is a challenge.

There's also a question of genre/setting. Lots of stories on this site are modern/magical realism, which is convenient because it's got a low barrier to entry for both writers (less world-building) and readers. Of course, that isn't attractive to every reader or author.
1 year

Story collab idea

I’m in! Fun idea
1 year

Story collab idea

PolyPinoyPuppy:
This could be fun. If nothing else, speaking as someone who doesn't write as much as he would like, it could have the same benefits as a writing circle.

I feel like this kind of thing lives and dies by the hook. Making the cause of weight gain being open-ended enough for people to put their own spin on it while also being consistent enough to be recognizable as a theme is a challenge.

There's also a question of genre/setting. Lots of stories on this site are modern/magical realism, which is convenient because it's got a low barrier to entry for both writers (less world-building) and readers. Of course, that isn't attractive to every reader or author.

I agree with all this, though I do worry I personally am too busy to give it a good effort at the moment. It sounds like a fun general prompt to motivate some writing. It would be interesting to see where different people take it.
1 year

Story collab idea

Kaede45:
Hey all! It's that random weirdo again. Throwing out ideas & hoping they come to light.

Anyway, I have had this idea for a while now & I wanted to see who might be interested in it, if anyone at all.

When most people write stories about characters suddenly becoming obese, whether it be by magic or something else, it's usually just about a few people or a single person is affected. But I thought "What if the entire world had a sudden weight gain? How would the rest of the world deal with it?" To that end I thought "What if we had a sort of anthology, a bunch of stories written by different authors, but all taking place in the same world where everyone has experienced a sudden weight gain?" The thought of several writers coming together to create a shared universe is very appealing to me & perhaps somebody will see this & say "Yeah! We should do this!"

Or maybe everyone will look at it & say "Wtf is this a-hole going on about?" or something like that, but either way I wanted to share this idea & see what, if anything, happens. Also, I apologize if this is all worded weird, I have trouble turning my thoughts into words...

Anyway, thanks for coming to my TED talk & God bless you all!

Sounds intriguing, I’d love to be a part of this!
1 year

Story collab idea

I'm down to contribute if this happens! Might I suggest creating a Discord server for organization purposes and bouncing of ideas?
1 year