Story authors

Keeping to accurate sizes?

I'm trying to come back to finish out a WG series I started, at least just wrap it up so it's not unfinished.

I'm unsure why, but I have been trying to find references for plus-size gals, and... Let's just say it gets difficult when going beyond height, hips, waist, and bust.

For example, I'm trying to describe arms in a scene and now I can't for the life of me imagine a good arm size after gaining four-hundred pounds. Now, should I maybe just cut it out, or just describe it in flowery imagery? Probably. Will my brain let me? At the very least, not right now.

So I ask you all, what do you do for references? There used to be more accessible videos on various bbw's and ssbbw's that had good measurements, (Plump Princess had one iirc), but cannot find them atm.
1 year

There are many ways to describe a gaining character's body/body parts even if you don't know what their exact measurements would be.

For example: you could get into the size and position of her body parts with relation to one another. Obviously, the gain won't affect her skeleton, but perhaps after gaining 400+ pounds, unless she's very tall, her upper arms have begun to roll over her elbows in the back and her wrists crease where they meet her hands?

Think also about what she can and can no longer wear at her new size. The number 1 complaint I hear about plus size clothing is that many lines don't account that fat bodies are simply shaped differently than thin ones, and end up just scaling up the patterns of straight size clothing rather than factor in the fact that fat women have curves and bulges in places where thin ones are more or less straight up and down. Perhaps she notices she has difficulty finding tops and jackets with sleeves that don't cut into her arms and needs to shop around more than she used to before picking out her next top? She'll probably also have to get her rings and wrist jewelry custom sized.

You might also make mention of what she can and can no longer do at her new weight. Can she still reach her back to scratch an itch, or reach every part of herself with her hands in the shower? Or does she employ the use of a back scratcher/loofah on a stick, or perhaps her partner assists her?

Are her fingers still small enough to type on her phone, or has she had to switch to the use of a stylus pen?

And that's just the physical details. It would be exciting to read a story with such a dramatic gain and the character's (hopefully embracing) exploration of her new body and the life changes that come of it.

Of course, you can always pick up a measuring tape if you want to use it to simulate her exact dimensions in 3D space.

I hope some of this has been helpful! Happy writing!
1 year

Stevita:
*snip*

Color me shocked to get some great feedback on here, thank you for the great advice! It's a lot of stuff I've been using as is, and I like for the long-form storytelling to mix it up between the more flowery detailing and getting a better comparison to concrete the growth in mind. But the stylus is a great thing to throw into the future, and wish this advise could be pinned or highlighted for future advise, as all of this is just gold to keep in mind!

Luckily my wife and I are quite large and take out a lot of guesswork to really get into the experience of being plus-sized and how to write authentically about those experiences. I don't have a tape measure on me to measure my own arm to garner some perspective and naturally wondered what others used to help with the grounding of this physicality into my minds-eye to better describe to help paint a picture with my words.
1 year

ValtheFA:
I'm trying to come back to finish out a WG series I started, at least just wrap it up so it's not unfinished.

I'm unsure why, but I have been trying to find references for plus-size gals, and... Let's just say it gets difficult when going beyond height, hips, waist, and bust.

For example, I'm trying to describe arms in a scene and now I can't for the life of me imagine a good arm size after gaining four-hundred pounds. Now, should I maybe just cut it out, or just describe it in flowery imagery? Probably. Will my brain let me? At the very least, not right now.

So I ask you all, what do you do for references? There used to be more accessible videos on various bbw's and ssbbw's that had good measurements, (Plump Princess had one iirc), but cannot find them atm.

Gotta remember people come in various shapes and sizes. Even at 400 lbs, an arm can look drastically different. If you aren't sure what body shape you want, go look at Google images.

Remember there are non-feedist people out there who are 400 lbs. In fact, there are weight loss websites out there with a database if pictures of people. You can pop in a height and weight, and it will spit out the closest match.

As for me, personally, I never include specific measurements unless it's important to the story. It's a real pet peeve of mine when people tell and don't show. Also ... so many male authors will say things like "She was so fat. She was 5'6", 130 lbs, and had huge C cups," and it's just an average size woman no one in their right mind would even call chubby. Or particularly busty.
1 year

ValtheFA:

Munchies:
Gotta remember people come in various shapes and sizes. Even at 400 lbs, an arm can look drastically different. If you aren't sure what body shape you want, go look at Google images.

Remember there are non-feedist people out there who are 400 lbs. In fact, there are weight loss websites out there with a database if pictures of people. You can pop in a height and weight, and it will spit out the closest match.

As for me, personally, I never include specific measurements unless it's important to the story. It's a real pet peeve of mine when people tell and don't show. Also ... so many male authors will say things like "She was so fat. She was 5'6", 130 lbs, and had huge C cups," and it's just an average size woman no one in their right mind would even call chubby. Or particularly busty.

There are many things exactly like that which can make for a good fetish story (weights and measurements are very popular), but drag down a story AS A STORY. I’m definitely guilty of that myself
1 year

ValtheFA:

Munchies:

Letters And Numbers:
There are many things exactly like that which can make for a good fetish story (weights and measurements are very popular), but drag down a story AS A STORY. I’m definitely guilty of that myself

A good story is a good story. Quality needn't suffer because it's smut. If it has the hallmarks of a bad story, it's a bad story. No shame in enjoying it anyway, but it doesn't make it good.
1 year

ValtheFA:

Munchies:

Letters And Numbers:

Munchies:
A good story is a good story. Quality needn't suffer because it's smut. If it has the hallmarks of a bad story, it's a bad story. No shame in enjoying it anyway, but it doesn't make it good.

1000% agree
1 year

Munchies:

As for me, personally, I never include specific measurements unless it's important to the story. It's a real pet peeve of mine when people tell and don't show. Also ... so many male authors will say things like "She was so fat. She was 5'6", 130 lbs, and had huge C cups," and it's just an average-size woman no one in their right mind would even call chubby. Or particularly busty.

Oh, for sure, I try my best to keep that in mind, it's not all-encompassing, it's why I said a [general idea from measuring, I'm sorry if I gave that impression.

Sometimes I find that you can paint the picture, sometimes to help with framing the gradual weight gain over a long period of time, it's good to define the shapes at times so all of the characters feel like they are different sizes despite those similar weight thresholds. I searched a lot for the base sizes of my characters for fanfiction, not of my own design, and tried to thoughtfully think how the weight would affect them based on their body shape and how the adipose would regulate into varying sizes.

I will say in my own settings, I try to be less analytical and cold with my descriptions, but I can only describe someone's size so often when you hit the 25k mark with the same story, even with a very large cast. It gets even more difficult when doing an anime setting and the characters at base size are already at extreme proportions, that adding to them can feel a bit strange, to say the least.

I haven't thought of looking at weight loss databases to check though, that might be helpful in gaining more perspective on what I'm looking for. The bbw.wiki is really hit-and-miss for those details. Again, I appreciate your help and insight, too good to keep a frame of mind for that, and getting those reminders when looking back at my own work to do so is greatly appreciated.
1 year

Munchies:

As for me, personally, I never include specific measurements unless it's important to the story. It's a real pet peeve of mine when people tell and don't show. Also ... so many male authors will say things like "She was so fat. She was 5'6", 130 lbs, and had huge C cups," and it's just an average-size woman no one in their right mind would even call chubby. Or particularly busty.

ValtheFA:
Oh, for sure, I try my best to keep that in mind, it's not all-encompassing, it's why I said a [general idea from measuring, I'm sorry if I gave that impression.

Sometimes I find that you can paint the picture, sometimes to help with framing the gradual weight gain over a long period of time, it's good to define the shapes at times so all of the characters feel like they are different sizes despite those similar weight thresholds. I searched a lot for the base sizes of my characters for fanfiction, not of my own design, and tried to thoughtfully think how the weight would affect them based on their body shape and how the adipose would regulate into varying sizes.

I will say in my own settings, I try to be less analytical and cold with my descriptions, but I can only describe someone's size so often when you hit the 25k mark with the same story, even with a very large cast. It gets even more difficult when doing an anime setting and the characters at base size are already at extreme proportions, that adding to them can feel a bit strange, to say the least.

I haven't thought of looking at weight loss databases to check though, that might be helpful in gaining more perspective on what I'm looking for. The bbw.wiki is really hit-and-miss for those details. Again, I appreciate your help and insight, too good to keep a frame of mind for that, and getting those reminders when looking back at my own work to do so is greatly appreciated.

To be clear, I am not against including measurements, but only when it makes sense to do so. For example, if a feeder is measuring someone, for example. But I like to be more creative about it. For example, someone breaks a chair with a 400 lbs weight limit, or their hips brush against a door that's 60 inches across.

But the thing you gotta remember is that how you imagine something will not be how the reader will imagine it. So you can't get too bogged down with details.

Personally, I like to give a basic description of a character and focus on the experience of being fat. Things like discovering new rolls, relearning your center of gravity, or outgrowing old clothes. That way you don't have to worry about being too precise, but the reader can better immerse themselves in your world.
1 year

A lot of people hyper-fixate on fetish spaces for fetish work inspiration. That's all well and good, but if you want to ground your story in realism, the weight loss and fitness community is the way to go.

You will find people of various sizes and shapes chronicling their experience in vivid detail. There are precise measurements and they show their bodies off at multiple angles. Super useful.
1 year
12   loading