Fattening others

Pre-diabetic and gaining

Looking for solutions on how to have my partner still be able to gain, as healthy as possible, while pre-diabetic. If this brings her A1C down that's even better.
I know it's doable, but looking for anyone who has been in this scenario before and have anything that worked for them.
1 year

Pre-diabetic and gaining

So my weights been generally the same or a few pounds heavier. I'm not trying to gain but I have some experience still eating a lot but keeping my A1C in a healthy normal range. I try to limit carbs/sugar but eat a lot of protein, nuts, avocados, salads, etc.
1 year

Pre-diabetic and gaining

Also, it's pretty important to try to take a 20minute walk after one eats, even if eating some carbs/sugars, a walk shortly after will help to keep the blood sugar lower, and it's not going to dramatically burn calories.
1 year

Pre-diabetic and gaining

2seatsalways:
Looking for solutions on how to have my partner still be able to gain, as healthy as possible, while pre-diabetic. If this brings her A1C down that's even better.
I know it's doable, but looking for anyone who has been in this scenario before and have anything that worked for them.

It's best to gain slower and avoid a carb/sugar based gain. Try to focus on healthy, high fat foods like avocados, nuts, and high fat fish.
1 year

Pre-diabetic and gaining

2seatsalways:

Munchies:
It's best to gain slower and avoid a carb/sugar based gain. Try to focus on healthy, high fat foods like avocados, nuts, and high fat fish.

I swear I saw you type this before. Thank you for responding. I read you studied biology? So she should limit soda and have like treat days? A day of sweets and sugar maybe once a week?
Would gain shakes be ok?
1 year

Pre-diabetic and gaining

MVP76:
Also, it's pretty important to try to take a 20minute walk after one eats, even if eating some carbs/sugars, a walk shortly after will help to keep the blood sugar lower, and it's not going to dramatically burn calories.

Love this thank you!
1 year

Pre-diabetic and gaining

2seatsalways:

Munchies:

2seatsalways:
I swear I saw you type this before. Thank you for responding. I read you studied biology? So she should limit soda and have like treat days? A day of sweets and sugar maybe once a week?
Would gain shakes be ok?

I did study biology. I'm also a diabetic and an ex-gainer. So I have a combination of study and experience under my belt. And I often repeat my advice because people often ask the same questions.

Definitely limit soda. The average can of soda has a staggeringly high amount of sugar. As for when to have sweets, I'll let you guys figure that out. Having a cheat day is fine, but even then, don't overdo it.

For me, I have sweets any day I want them, but not that many. For example, I wanted chocolate yesterday, so I grabbed a back of semi-sweet chocolate chips and got a handful. I took my time to savor it and I was happy.

Weight gain shakes are fine. However, don't make them too sweet, and make sure she limits the rest of her sugar intake for the rest of the day. It's also a good idea not to make too much. A lot of people forget that when you increase your calories, you also increase everything else.

For example, if a serving size of something has 10 g of sugar, and you eat three servings, you just had 30g of sugar. If you aren't reading the nutrition label now, I advise you to start.
1 year

Pre-diabetic and gaining

2seatsalways:

My first thought is that—since pre-diabetes is reversible—maybe just wait until treatment is done?
1 year

Pre-diabetic and gaining

2seatsalways:

Greentrees8733:
My first thought is that—since pre-diabetes is reversible—maybe just wait until treatment is done?

It's the wisest course of action, but since they are clearly not interested in that, I try to do the harm reduction thing.
1 year

Pre-diabetic and gaining

2seatsalways:

Greentrees8733:

Munchies:
It's the wisest course of action, but since they are clearly not interested in that, I try to do the harm reduction thing.

Hey I appreciate your response. I was going to leave this forum up so anyone who goes down this path may follow it. Trying not to get too personal but this topic is something I need to avoid going forward. I do hope the techniques you mentioned help others out there.

Thank you again for your insight.
1 year
123   loading