Feedback and suggestions

"transgender" is not its own gender / rephrasing gender selection menu

When I was signing up for this site, I saw in the "select your gender" dropdown menu that the options were:

- male
- female
- transgender
- no gender.

As someone who is trans AND female, this made me kind of wary about how accepting this site would be, since this list of options makes "trans" and "male"/"female" mutually exclusive. Moreover, "transgender" is not even its own gender in the first place.

Maybe "transgender" could be a checkbox instead? So "gender" would be
- male
- female
- nonbinary
- no gender
- not listed (perhaps a write-in?)

and then there would be a checkbox for if you are trans or not, or something to that effect.

This is just an idea for the solution -- my main issue is that the way the site is currently set up, the phrasing makes it impossible to label yourself as "transgender" and something else at the same time. If I want to label myself as trans, I have to foresake labeling myself "female", which is really invalidating.

I know the site has existed for a long time now, but I feel like this is an important issue when it comes to the website's stated goal of inclusivity and being accepting of all kinds of people/identities.
2 years

Fist of all I am happy that you are here smiley
I kind of get your point, so you are happier with the Solution on other sides like feabie?
It is a difficult topic, I would think adding just a free space that can be filed out, could be a solution.
2 years

hhhggg:
Fist of all I am happy that you are here smiley
I kind of get your point, so you are happier with the Solution on other sides like feabie?
It is a difficult topic, I would think adding just a free space that can be filed out, could be a solution.

Thank you! I have never used feabie so I can't say, sorry. I do think a write-in would be really good though
2 years

Hi,

Firstly, I would like to say welcome to the site!

As you so rightly put, we have had the current profile options set for some time now, and we do need to look into getting this updated.

While I can't confirm when this will be looked into, as it is only hiccupx that can make changes, it is on our agenda for improvements based on users feedback.

We have a wide range of people who use the site, and we have always been an inclusive community.

We want everyone to feel comfortable and be able to identify as they are, without limits due to the language used on the site.

So I really appreciate your feedback and the suggestions you have come up with for the replacement options =, its really helpful to have this put forward so we can make the changes we are using the correct language and options so its suitable for all.

Please keep your suggestions coming. As your ideas and feedback are important to ensure Fantasy Feeder is current and serving its purpose as a community platform.

c00kie
FF Team
2 years

A write-in would be difficult to search for, so that may not be the best idea? One might type in, for example "female to male" while another user could type "M2F," which is a lack of consistency. That's the only major problem I could think of with write in.

It would also be likely to difficult to code. I know some things about programming. To be entirely fair, I have not looked at similar code of the CMS used here, and even if I did, it's likely been modified heavily.

But, it's likely a trait where it's been coded for one selection in mind. "No gender" is likely NULL or 0, "female" would be 1, "male" could be 2, "transgender" could be 3, and so on.

Depending on how the data is stored, it may also be more difficult to transition this data field from one that expects a single selection to one that accepts multiple. This would also bring up the issue of converting the legacy data for the new format. While not impossible, even if accepted it would take more time to implement.

Given these constraints, one possible nearer term solution that would be likely to be far easier to code for, or in other words would mean it'd be more likely to implemented more quickly, would be to add a few more hardcoded options. For example, "trans M2F" which could be 5, and "trans F2M" which could be 6, and so on.

Another, potentially easier option might be to leave the current options as they are, but add an additional data field which could perhaps be a checkbox (select multiple if you want) or even write in. Perhaps this could include checkbox options such as "AFAB" or "AMAB."

Anyway, just wanted to come up with some possible solutions, including some potentially easier nearer term solutions which could mean faster implementation.
2 years

ILuvChubbyChix:
A write-in would be difficult to search for, so that may not be the best idea? One might type in, for example "female to male" while another user could type "M2F," which is a lack of consistency. That's the only major problem I could think of with write in.

It would also be likely to difficult to code. I know some things about programming. To be entirely fair, I have not looked at similar code of the CMS used here, and even if I did, it's likely been modified heavily.

But, it's likely a trait where it's been coded for one selection in mind. "No gender" is likely NULL or 0, "female" would be 1, "male" could be 2, "transgender" could be 3, and so on.

Depending on how the data is stored, it may also be more difficult to transition this data field from one that expects a single selection to one that accepts multiple. This would also bring up the issue of converting the legacy data for the new format. While not impossible, even if accepted it would take more time to implement.

Given these constraints, one possible nearer term solution that would be likely to be far easier to code for, or in other words would mean it'd be more likely to implemented more quickly, would be to add a few more hardcoded options. For example, "trans M2F" which could be 5, and "trans F2M" which could be 6, and so on.

Another, potentially easier option might be to leave the current options as they are, but add an additional data field which could perhaps be a checkbox (select multiple if you want) or even write in. Perhaps this could include checkbox options such as "AFAB" or "AMAB."

Anyway, just wanted to come up with some possible solutions, including some potentially easier nearer term solutions which could mean faster implementation.

Eirtae feedee:
I’m my opinion, I don’t like the expression “trans M2F” because someone could thing that I was a boy, I have always been a trans woman.

Maybe you can try with the options:
-Man -Woman -Non binary -Agender

And then another data field with this options

-Cis -Trans

Is just an idea 👀

Yeah, I think this would absolutely be the best solution if a write-in becomes problematic from a technical standpoint
2 years

It's great that someone touched this topic, I'm looking forward to see the changes
2 years