Story authors

What are the best categories for organizing our stories?

I basically agree with OscarWinner but I will expand.

I do feel like there are different kinds of stories and being able to specify what kind you are looking for will help our readers.

Here are the ones I can think of right now:

1) One-shot - A story that encompasses just one scene. It just gets right to the smut with little story, more focused on actions.

2) Short stories - Involve more than one scene, but still wrap up relatively quickly. Has only one story line. Has more time for character development.

3) Novels - (This is what I write). Fully fleshed out stories where not every chapter may have kink in it, rather it has room for character and action to build to the kink-related scenes.

I really think it would be super helpful to differentiate between these. Someone who just wants a quick story doesn't wanna read a novel, and someone who enjoys the kink with more emotion and/or circumstance developed behind it will want to skip the short stories.

Also, my stories are romance-based and I don't think it makes sense to lump them with "peer relationships." Romance is its own thing separate from friends. I'd also separate incest from "peer relationships" because that's VERY specific and I'd say most people have a strong stance for whether or not they'd want to read that so it's best to be VERY clear if a story has it. So I guess I'm saying you should break that into 3 categories: Romance, Incest, Friends
2 years

John Smith:
Or does it?

Santiago:
It's just a thought maybe I'm wrong

Yes of course, the idea of having categories is to try and organise stories with similar themes into groups to make it easier to find the stories that most appeal to you.

To keep things simple, I would say we need no more that around 8 top level categories, with no more than around 8 sub-categories in each.

The task here is to try and find the most obvious categorys, and then give each one an intuitive name.

Thanks for everyone's help so far, there's been some great suggestions but I don't think we're there quite yet. Are there any librarians in the membership that can help us out?
2 years

Are there any librarians in the membership that can help us out?

Not library systems, but I do handle data management and this kind of organization a lot for a day job so if you're serious about asking for help I can definitely assist.
2 years

Are there any librarians in the membership that can help us out?

LoraDayton:
Not library systems, but I do handle data management and this kind of organization a lot for a day job so if you're serious about asking for help I can definitely assist.

Definately! How wouild you categorize our stories. Please post below.
2 years

hiccupx:
Definately! How wouild you categorize our stories. Please post below.

Well I did already describe this a bit in an earlier comment: model the AO3 system. Otherwise, this forum really does not lend itself to describing what kind of organization needs to happen and quite frankly I already pay full price for this site, I don't do that kind of work for free lol.
2 years

LitMistress:
I do feel like there are different kinds of stories and being able to specify what kind you are looking for will help our readers.

Here are the ones I can think of right now:

1) One-shot - A story that encompasses just one scene. It just gets right to the smut with little story, more focused on actions.

2) Short stories - Involve more than one scene, but still wrap up relatively quickly. Has only one story line. Has more time for character development.

3) Novels - (This is what I write). Fully fleshed out stories where not every chapter may have kink in it, rather it has room for character and action to build to the kink-related scenes.

I really think it would be super helpful to differentiate between these. Someone who just wants a quick story doesn't wanna read a novel, and someone who enjoys the kink with more emotion and/or circumstance developed behind it will want to skip the short stories.

Also, my stories are romance-based and I don't think it makes sense to lump them with "peer relationships." Romance is its own thing separate from friends. I'd also separate incest from "peer relationships" because that's VERY specific and I'd say most people have a strong stance for whether or not they'd want to read that so it's best to be VERY clear if a story has it. So I guess I'm saying you should break that into 3 categories: Romance, Incest, Friends

^^ This this all of this. As a reader, my first and foremost decision is how much time i have/am willing to invest when i get the urge to read.
2 years

hiccupx:
We are currently in the process of re-categorizing the stories to make them easier to search. […] Here are the categories (and sub-categories) we have so far:

Humiliation:
[…]
* Animal-like (Pork, Piggy, Pig, Hog, Cow, Milk, Animal, Livestock, Breed, Farm, Market)

Animal-like isn’t necessarily humiliation. I’ve read of plenty of real-world people who identify as animal-like. Also: where does Erotic Lactation fit in? Breast expansion? Several of my pending stories have these aspects along with general fatness/fat gain.

Transformation:
* Fit to Fat
* Feminization
* Feeder to Feedee
* Weight gain (Gaining, XWG, Immobility, Obesity, Reunion)
* Breeding (Pregnancy, Family)

OK, maybe Breast Expansion fits in here. TransGender/TG seems to be the code on DeviantArt, and is far more general than Feminization. Would SciFi transformations (e.g. growing additional genitals/breasts) fit here? Below in SciFi? Tagged with both?

Horror:
* Supernatural/Paranormal (Witch, Ritual, Halloween, Curse)

My in-progress witch-related story is far more hilarious than having any aspect of horror. It would offend me to have to have it under a subcategory of Horror.

Science Fiction:
* Quarantine (Vaccination, Pandemics, Lock Down, Big Brother)
* Apocalypse (Aliens, End of World)
* Experiments (Medical, Scientific, Pills, Doctors)

How about * Accidents (Natural, Human-Caused Intentional)?

* Do your own stories easily fit into one or more of the categories above?

No, not most of them.

* How would you categorize the above to make it as intuitive as possible?

It would take some serious time and thinking. Has it been established whether this is to be a tagging system where multiple categorizations are easy? Or is this an “It gets filed Here”?
2 years

Has it been established whether this is to be a tagging system where multiple categorizations are easy? Or is this an “It gets filed Here”?

The trouble with allowing multiple categorizations for one story (as is currently the case) is that some people select all the categories, whether they are relevant or not, just to gain maximum exposure. If you choose all the categories, then your story will show in the results whatever the search criteria.

However, some stories would definately fit in more than one category. The comedy horror story you describe above might be an example of this. Therefore I think we'd need to limit the categories to three per story to achieve a good balance.
2 years

hiccupx:
The trouble with allowing multiple categorizations for one story (as is currently the case) is that some people select all the categories, whether they are relevant or not, just to gain maximum exposure. If you choose all the categories, then your story will show in the results whatever the search criteria.

However, some stories would definately fit in more than one category. The comedy horror story you describe above might be an example of this. Therefore I think we'd need to limit the categories to three per story to achieve a good balance.

Difficult questions.

If the system’s being abused, limits do seem to make senses. Though in that case, a person could abuse the system by selecting the most popular options, whether they were relevant to the story or not. Policing is burdensome work, whether done by moderators, (non-staff) site participants, or both.

If people are trying to put their stories into all categories for maximum exposure, maybe another view is needed: can anything be done in terms of how the main story list is presented? Having not been there for awhile, i just went and looked. Pretty, readable, but all the space taken up by the layout and the synopsis/preview text means only 10 stories show up on the first page of listings on my screen—and i’m on a 15" diagonal notebook computer, not a smaller screen. Any stories other than these 10 are “below the fold” on another page, thus much less visible. Page 1 of Recent Additions on Dimensions doubles that: 20 new stories are listed on the first page: greater exposure for more authors (or at least more of prolific authors’ stories). Curvage Your Stories page 1 has 25 entries, though they mix actual stories and story discussion, so actual stories look to be about 23, as of my composing this message.

Aside: on FF, 9 of the 10 stories on the first page are Premium, so i can only actually read 1 of those. On Dims and Curvage, i can read them all. Wonder where i, as a reader, will go?🤔 If it is possible to have at least 40% of the stories on the first page non-Premium, that might help.

Clarification on my earlier post: my in-progress story with witches is pure comedy. There’s no horror in it. It is not horror + comedy. Having witches as a subcategory of Horror is problematic for me.

Thank you for considering these points, and all you and the rest of the team do to keep FF going!
2 years

Here's a revised list of search filters, it's not the final cut but it's getting fairly close. I've tried to take into account your comments above as far as possible. The idea is to categorie, so not every possible search term is included, but hopefully you'll be able to find something close or related.

You will be able to choose as many or few filters as you want to limit or expand your results. Comments welcome.

Genre:
* Fantasy (Magic/Supernatural/Mythology/Folklore)
* Science Fiction
* Dystopian
* Action & Adventure
* Mystery
* Horror
* Thriller & Suspense
* Romance
* Contemporary Fiction (Work/Politics/Replationships)
* Magical Realism (Real World Magic)
* New Adult (College/Freshman/Cheerleader/Roommates)
* Comedy
Tags:
* Friends/Family Reunion
* Slob/Toilet/Farting
* Pregnancy
* Revenge/Jealousy/Envy
* Kidnapping/Blackmail
* Vore/Canibalism/Death
* Apocalypse/Quarantine
* Medical/Scientific Experiments
* Betting/Competition
* Punishing/Forcing/Hypnosis