Lifestyle tips

50lbs and 40lbs up and curious to hear others' experiences

Hi, I'm sure that this varies a lot by person, but thought I'd throw in my experience and observations for whatever it is worth.

My wife and I have never gotten as big as the two of you (I'm 5'8" and her 5'6", and both have peaked around 240 pounds), and two things I've noticed is that while things don't necessarily get physically easier over time, they become less of a mental and emotional load as you get used to them. Like, my belly never got less in the way when i was putting on shoes, but after a while I just automatically put on shoes in ways where it got less in the way, so didn't notice that issue as much. And at that weight we were both a little bit slower in our walking, but after a bit we adjusted our mental expectations of how long it would take to walk somewhere and more automatically stepped aside if someone was overtaking us without trying to match their pace. And for that matter, we more automatically walked at the right pace for us, instead of starting off at our old pace and getting out of breath and only then slowing down.

I also noted that for both of us, after losing weight and regaining it, the second time seemed less intrusive into life than the first. How much was more quickly getting into those fat habits, and how much was our bodies having retained a certain amount of strength for carrying the weight, or something else, I'm not sure.

I've also observed with others that people who have been fat for a long time tend to deal with it better on a day to day basis than people who have recently gained. An experienced super-sized person just automatically gets up out of a chair in an effective way, instead of wallowing around trying to just stand up and trying to figure out how to position themselves, for example. Or they know how much space they need so don't find themselves bumping into things by accident. Or for that matter they don't have furniture that doesn't accommodate them.

I totally agree about wanting to walk and bike! (favorite activities of my wife and mine, too). I think you do need to keep an eye on how well you can do those things that you want to keep on doing, because as you said, you will only build up so much more strength and endurance over time (him maybe a bit more, thanks to the effect of testosterone when it comes to such things). But I think the general awkwardness decreases over time more.

ETA: I got a diabetes diagnosis this past Summer. At 53 not shockingly young, but young enough that it has a real chance to cut into my number of healthy years of life left to enjoy, so I've made some pretty sharp diet changes (massive reduction in carbs) to get my blood glucose under control. I mention this because 1) Family health history is probably something to take into account, too (do either of you have a lot of diabetes or high blood pressure in your family?) and 2) From the change of diet and getting better about getting daily activity I've ended up losing 20 pounds, and between the change of diet, more daily activity, and that much weight loss my energy levels and vigour are up remarkably. So just saying that even a small loss might make a big difference in how you each feel, while still leaving you each pretty fat (hopefully satisfyingly fat). I'd rather not have lost weight, but given that I did I try to see the bright sides of it.
2 years

Nice to read such an honest post. Glad to see you both are happy and keep an eye on each others health. I have gained about 25 kilos (going from 95 to 120 kilo) and as a result, my cycling speed and dinstance have greatly shrunk. But i am happy with the results.
2 years

40 pounds up since May. I’ve noticed, how people react to me eating. They always have something to say now. Out grew a lot of clothes. Harder to move around as fast and of course putting on shoes with a bigger stomach. My face is rounder and have a double chin that doesn’t go anywhere.appetite is growing and almost infinitely at times.I’m currently at my fattest. Getting use to this weight, but happy & proud of my gaining. Eat up.
2 years

I Put on 40 pounds in 2 months. Due to how quick the weight gain was for me, I noticed that I was having a more challenging time doing things cause my body was not used to the extra weight, and of course, I was slower than perhaps if I gained the same weight slower.

I also am shocked at how I look fat, but also at how small I still look and feel, but a lot of that has to do with my height. I am 5'10, currently about 279, so it takes more weight to show up on me.
2 years

heidirayson:
If, on the other hand, he finds that the drawbacks aren't worth the gain then I'll just have to enjoy him being chubby instead (because there's absolutely *zero* chance he's ever going to be thin - he's too lazy and loves his food too much for that, lol)!

It would not surprise me that even if he decides that he doesn't want to be as big, that he never loses all of it. Being lazy and loving food do make losing weight a lot harder, especially when you've mentioned that you've already helped him be more active and fit than he was in the past -- he doesn't have a previous higher activity set of habits that he can re-adopt, and it is harder to pick those up as you get older and are already fatter. Overall it sounds like you are more driven, so more likely to manage larger weight changes.
2 years

Sounds like an intelligent way of looking at things heidirayson.
Your comments about things being harder when you put on weight are so true.
Personal hygiene being one of the many things that get harder as the pounds add up.
Even at 425 lbs I was OCD about that.
I am 5'4" and at 425 it was just too hard for me to do simple things like climb stairs, put on shoes and socks and getting in my car was an ordeal.
I lost weight and got down to 330 lbs and currently 350 ish but I am content at that weight.
I love being fat and don't see myself ever losing weight.
2 years

Ditzy:
Sounds like an intelligent way of looking at things heidirayson.
Your comments about things being harder when you put on weight are so true.
Personal hygiene being one of the many things that get harder as the pounds add up.
Even at 425 lbs I was OCD about that.
I am 5'4" and at 425 it was just too hard for me to do simple things like climb stairs, put on shoes and socks and getting in my car was an ordeal.
I lost weight and got down to 330 lbs and currently 350 ish but I am content at that weight.
I love being fat and don't see myself ever losing weight.

I can relate :-) Even at only 200, I have trouble putting on socks and shoes. Flip-flops or just going barefoot indoors is so much easier :-) My wife is is about 320, so walking around a lot in a store or something can take its toll. Neither one of us figures to ever be thin again, though :-)
2 years

@Heidirayson you sound far too sane for this place *L*

Enjoy the heck out of your holidays smiley
2 years

moving my legs further a part when putting on shoes now..n sitting down to take a piss as i cant see my dick now when standing up...
2 years

Good luck! It has been great reading your updates, and I hope you'll check in occasionally even if you are losing some.
2 years