Extreme obesity

Can you be healthy at any weight?

Healthy is a bit of an abstract thing, with several different criteria to determine it. So I would say that most people could be considered somewhat healthy, even into the 400 lbs range. But I think that there is a certain point where fat will almost definitely impede one’s overall health and they’d eventually be astronomically more likely to develop severe health issues. Unfortunately that’s a part of gaining and one must decide whether it’s worth the risk before they get to that size.
2 years

I have dealt with many patients 800 pounds or more and all of them have high blood pressure, diabetes, need oxygen, have sleep
Apnea and they all require a lot of work to keep them clean and comfortable.
2 years

Pressure sores can get really bad, if you are not extremely careful
2 years

FatLover91:
Has anyone heard of HAES? (Healthy At Every Size).

First time hearing this.

Do you believe you can be healthy no matter how big you are? Can someone at 900 pounds be healthy? I believe so but I’m curious what your thoughts are.

John Smith:
Reality checks doesn't care about our dubious beliefs. I am a feeder, but at least I am not wearing rose coloured glasses: extreme superobesity bears its deadly consequences. Near-immobility, lymphatic swelling of the limbs, edema, poor hygiene, body oxygenation issues, and the list goes on and on.

Every extreme feedee as well as their feeders ought to be aware of the setbacks and downsides of indulging this far, not denying the truth. If they want to fatten up to the extreme, they're free to do so: but they have to perform this responsibly.

The escapist mentalities of some people over here are reaching anti-adulting levels of absurdity...
Totally agree. Obviously, everybody is different genetically and some will cope better than others. Not every fat person will get diabetes, but it is a factor. Not every fat person will develop knee joint issues, but it is a factor. Age needs to be thrown in too:the older you get, the more problems you are likely to have and weight exacerbates things.
Fat does not equal unhealthy, but neither does it equal healthy and obesity is a risk factor for many issues and illnesses.
So why have I made myself obese intentionally and why have I continued to try and gain when I have multiple obesity related health issues now. Because I love being fat and I went into this, having made a calculated decision. We all die one day and a lot will be determined by our genes. We will all die of something. We all hope it won't happen, but it will. We all hope that it will be quick and painless when it does happen, whether we are fat or thin. We all make choices:enjoy things that we enjoy and might be bad for us in the long run and take the risk or do everything we can to try and maximise the length of our lives. It's a personal thing and I have total respect for anyone who wants to try and live as long as possible. But that's not my choice. I accept that I might die as early as my 60s,but I have chosen to enjoy my passions and fetish es and accept that.
Anyway, as I said, obesity is not healthy generally, but that doesn't mean the same to everybody and doesn't mean you shouldn't be fat
2 years

As long as you accept the risks, go for it and have 4ths and 5ths at every meal. Live with no regrets. If you have any doubts, you don’t have to push yourself to 800 plus. Realizing once you do, you probably will never be smaller.
2 years

I feel like I need to set the record straight about HAES, since it seems most people, whether supporters or critics, misunderstand what it means. HAES did that to themselves though. I've looked through their website, and they use a lot of vague language with room for interpretation. However, after reading through their linked resources and organizations they've partnered with, their message becomes clear.

First of all, it stands for HEALTH at every size, not HEALTHY at every size. They are not trying to imply that it is possible to be healthy regardless of size. Instead, they mean that anyone can take steps to improve their health at any size. The traditional view is that health improvements can only happen with weight loss, so if you starve yourself or get WLS, you will be automatically healthy (which is completely wrong). Not only that, but traditional diet and exercise programs fail for most people in the long run because they don't take human psychology into account, so you are mentally set up for failure. Plus, crash dieting can lower your metabolism.

HAES still recommends diet and exercise, but with a different mental approach. Weight loss is treated like it's not the goal, health is. That way if your weight plateaus, it doesn't feel like a failure. For diet, they suggest an approach called intuitive eating. The idea is to pay close attention to signals from your body, not cravings. For example, you will probably feel more energetic after eating eggs and fruit rather than a hamburger. It also means stopping when your hunger goes away, not when you feel full. For exercise, they tell you to find something active that you enjoy doing for its own sake, so exercising doesn't feel like torture and you look forward to it. If you follow their suggestions, you WILL lose weight over time (but of course that's just a "side effect"smiley. So it's not really a good fit for the feedist community, and would be better suited for the vanillas in the wider body positivity movement.
2 years